CTOTB Background

Saturday 20 July 2013

Revolutionary You

 

My writer's block always comes from an endless search for something exciting to say. Something new and different which has some kind of shock factor and the ability to give someone a whole new perspective on something. Sadly, the result of this quest is often a half-finished, outlandish yet clichéed piece which I soon discard - and every time this happens, I lose a little bit of confidence in myself as a writer.

It's taken me this long in my writing life to realise that this failing is down to my continuous desire to be revolutionary. I'm finally coming to terms with the fact that actually, I don't have to be. By constantly trying to be something extraordinary, I'm rejecting what I've been given, in exchange for what I think other people will like. I'm trying to glorify myself, when God's given me so much I can glorify him with.
 


The irony at the root of it all is this: by just being plain, silly old me, I'm much more likely to say something which has real meaning. When I stop trying to be something I'm not, I open a gateway to something much better. In being truthful to myself, not only am I much more likely to write something which rings true in someone's heart, but I give God the opportunity to speak through me.
 

This doesn't apply solely to my writing, but to many aspects in my life: the things I say, the way I act, the way I dress, the things I do, the way I organise my life and, perhaps most importantly, my walk with God. The desire to be something big and exciting in serving has become rather a bad habit (as unfortunately they're not few and far between) of modern Christianity. It's been deemed the "new legalism": the idea that serving as a missionary in South Africa is so much more important than serving by doing meet and greet at church, or by saying hello to the new kid at school.
 

Serving is amazing, and you will be of the best service if you serve as yourself. Serving while trying to be someone you aren't isn't true serving. Working at the kids' group at church when you've never been good with children will obviously not be the best way for you to serve. Going out to do missionary work when you've been called to stay and serve in your town is equally as wrong as staying and serving in your town when you've been called to go out and do missionary work.
 

Isn't it true that the best days are the days that you're with people who you know love you no matter what? Isn't it true that letting go and doing something silly because it's what you really want to do is the best feeling? Isn't it true that pretending to be someone you aren't is generally a horrible experience?
 

God called you to be you. God has blessed you so richly with things that you won't see until you accept your calling to simply be yourself. In a world where everyone is trying to be the revolution, the most revolutionary thing for you to be is exactly who you are right now - because no one else is fit for the job.

No comments:

Post a Comment