CTOTB Background

Monday 14 October 2013

Stress (extension from Call Me Frank)

This post is an extension from a piece I posted on my other blog on Saturday night, so please do check that out.

The idea of posting this extension is to add some advice in a Christian context that I've found helpful over time. I'd like to point out here that the idea of having a separate Christian-focused blog to my "main" blog is not a means of separating my faith from my every day life. I love writing about my faith, and writing to directly encourage Christians in their walk is something I'm passionate about, but by separating that type of content onto this blog, Call Me Frank remains accessible for non-Christians too, which is very important to me. I always try and let God speak through me whether or not I'm writing about Him, and any debate I argue or advice I give will be given according to my Christian values.

So, let's go.

Stress & Guilt
It's sad that in a faith like ours - a faith in which we know we are safe because we have a God who loves us and will never forsake us - stress and guilt go so hand in hand, perhaps more than in secular culture. It's a very Christian habit to try and suppress guilt because if we're stressed we should feel bad because it means we're not trusting God enough, right? Wrong.

Of course, as Christians we are the children of a God who can relieve our stress, and who truly is in control of everything we do, but we are also children of a God who says that we can be free from guilt because of the ultimate sacrifice of his son, Jesus. God understands the pain we are experiencing from our stress and has no desire that we feel guilty. He loves us and wants the best for us - and the best is not getting caught up in a cycle of stress and guilt.

Prayer
Something that I didn't put on the list on the other blog is prayer. Prayer is not only a way of asking God for relief of your stress, but also the opportunity to spend a quiet relaxing time with Him; your sanctuary. I always find that having a quiet time, perhaps with some worship music and reflection on some encouraging verses, is the best relief for stress. During and after my quiet time I experience peace and comfort, which I very much believe God provides in abundance to those who ask for it!

Getting some friends to pray for you or with you is also a great idea. Especially during tough times or exam periods, it's great to get a little prayer unit of friends together who you can get together and pray with from time to time. Spending time with an awesome God and having fellowship with people you love is sure to make you feel better.

Priorities
As Christians, maybe our priority list seems a bit more complicated. We've thrown quiet times and Bible reading and church and the duty to serve into the mix, so it's hard to decipher what should come first when we have a million other things to do.

Those who know me or have read my devotionals know that I have preached many a time about putting quiet times before revision. God will always make time for you to make time for him. Like I was just saying, prayer, quiet times and the fellowship and teaching we receive from church are wonderful relievers of stress. Equally, though, I do want to remind you all that the days that life just seems totally shaken up, we don't need to feel bad if we fall asleep before we manage to pray or can't concentrate on our Bible notes: it's ok. God is gracious and he understands. There's no space for guilt in this equation!

A few verses:
 James 5:16
Philippians 4:6-7
Psalm 55:22
Matthew 6:34
2 Corinthians 4:8-11

Love to all,
Lizzie
xxx

P.S. You can find a devotional written as part of the Anointed April devotional series [here]! (Coming soon)

No comments:

Post a Comment